Thursday, December 31, 2009

Baked Potato Soup

This is a favorite for us when the temperature drops. Easy to make with leftover baked potatoes and is usually enough for two meals. Whenever I do baked potatoes I throw in a few extra so I can make this later in the week. I do my potatoes for clam chowder the same way, it's a great time saver.


2/3 cups butter
2/3 cups flour
7 cups milk
4 large baked potatoes, cubed
4 green onions, sliced
12 bacon strips, cooked and cut up bite sized (I like to use the thick deli bacon)
1- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup sour cream
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

In a large pot melt butter over low heat, stir in flour. Heat and stir until smooth. Gradually add milk, stir constantly until thick. Add potatoes and onions. Bring to boil over medium heat, stir roux constantly. Reduce heat and add remaining ingredients. Serve.
Tip: I cook my bacon in the oven,on a tin fol lined sheet, @ 425 for about 8 minutes, keep an eye on it because it doesn't take long. But clean-up is a snap. No more grease spatters on the stove top.

No comments:

Post a Comment