Monday, October 26, 2009

Turkey Pot Pie

My family loves this Pot Pie. The five of us polished off the whole thing last night. I like using leftover turkey for this but you could use chicken as well. Homemade butter crust too!



Make butter crust for top and bottom. (recipe below)
In skillet saute:
1 chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 Tbl. butter
1 tsp. thyme
In large pan whisk:
1 1/2 cups 1/2&1/2
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 Tbl. flour
2 Tbl. cornstarch
1 1/2 tsp. paprika
Add onion to mixture and cook over medium heat until thick. Then add:
1 cup carrots
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen corn
4 cups cooked and cubed turkey
Pour into 9" deep pie dish lined with pastry. Top with pastry. Brush top with 1 beaten egg.
Bake @ 400 for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Hints: To soften the carrots faster I add them to the butter, so they can soften while I mix my cream and broth. I have also boiled chicken breasts (about 3) in water with the carrots when I'm in a hurry and don't have leftovers.

Pie Crust
Whisk together:
2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
Then with pastry cutter cut in:
1 cup cold butter, previously cut into chunks with knife
when mixture is pea sized add:
1/2 cup ice water a little at a time, as needed.
Stir mixture with large fork. When it starts to hold together in a loose ball stop adding water. Half the dough, flatten into disks and wrap in plastic wrap. Place in fridge until ready to roll out.

1 comment:

  1. I know what I'm going to be making for dinner tomorrow. Yummy!!!:-)

    ReplyDelete