Saturday, October 17, 2009

Pumpkin Bread with Candied Walnuts and Whipped Cream

This time of year everyone is making pumpkin bread. I thought I'd spruce up my old recipe. Enjoy, we did.



15oz. pumpkin puree
4 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup water
1 cup brown sugar
1-1/2 cup sugar
3-1/2 cup flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1-1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
pre-heat oven 350. Spray 2 loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray.
In large bowl (kitchen aid) mix pumpkin, eggs, oil, water, and sugars until well blended. In separate bowl whisk flour, soda, salt and spices. Stir into pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour into prepared pans and bake until toothpick comes out clean. About 60 minutes. If the tops start to brown too much cover with tin foil.
Candied Walnuts
1 Tbl. butter
2 Tbl. packed brown sugar
1 cup walnuts
Place butter and brown sugar in small skillet. (I use my 8" cast iron) stir until well combined over medium heat. Add walnuts, stirring constantly until starts to bubble and thickened. Remove from heat, and cool slightly before using.
Notes: When I make my whipped cream I use very little powdered sugar to sweeten. I find the walnuts are sweet enough, but adjust to your own taste. Top a slice of warm pumpkin bread with whipped cream and sprinkle with candied walnuts and a dash of cinnamon. You can substitute some or all of the vegetable oil with applesauce and some or all of the flour with whole wheat flour.

1 comment: