Friday, October 2, 2009

Double Chocolate Sprinkle Cookies

With all this cold weather I've been baking a lot!  Mom bought me a copy of Taste of Home Baking Classics cook book, one of my favorite recipes in it is these cookies. I have been tweeking with it a bit and have found that it is very versatile, you can custom fit it to suit your moods. I have many!



1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups walnuts
1 cup chocolate sprinkles

In Kitchen-Aid, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.

Place oats in a blender, cover and process until finely ground. Combine the oats,flour baking soda, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in chocolate chips, walnuts and sprinkles.

Drop 1-1/2" balls, 2" apart on Silpat lined cookie sheet. Bake @ 350 for 12 minutes.

Now the fun substitutions. Instead of walnuts, chocolate chips and sprinkles try white chips and macadamia nuts. Or try butterscotch chips and no nuts. I haven't tried raisins yet but I think anything would work well with the finely ground oats. The recipe sugests flattening the cookies with a glass before baking, but I think not. Here is how they look when they are baked in a ball. I like the texture better this way.

1 comment: