Thursday, January 28, 2010

White Bean Soup

I love cooking with beans because I have so many in my food storage. It's a yummy and inexpensive way to get great protien, fiber and vitamin B. I usually serve it with rolls or biscuits and honey, of course!




2 1/2 cups dried navy beans, lima beans or great northern beans
5 cups water
8 oz. cooked ham, chopped
1/2 cup onion
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dried ginger
1/2 tsp. sage
1/2 tsp. pepper
4 cups milk
4 Tbl. butter
Rinse beans. Place in large saucepan; add enough water to cover. Boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour.
Drain; return beans to saucepan. Stir in 5 cups water, ham,  onion, oregano, salt, ginger, sage and pepper. Bring to boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 2-2 1/2 hours or until beans are tender. Add more water if needed. Add milk and butter, stir until heated through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
This makes about 10 servings, just enough for my family to have it for leftovers the next day.
Note: After I boil the beans and let them set for an hour, I just put them into my crock- pot with all the ingredients except the milk and butter. I let it cook all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment